Friday, February 24, 2012

Weekend Reading: Inspiration for Keeping in Touch the Old-Fashioned Way

image from Donovan Beeson in the LWA flickr pool

I thought I would leave you this week with a couple links to some of my favorite blogs and books about good old-fashioned snail mail.

The Letter Writers Alliance blog posts about all things mail-related.  The blog is hugely informative--follow it and you will always be up on stamp releases and current mail rates . . . and lots and lots of other really neat mail things.  If you love stationery and mail and the USPS, you will love this blog.  You can even become a card-carrying member of the Alliance and get access to the Member Site with free stationery downloads and pen pal swaps and other postal-related goodies.  "Write More Letters" is the LWA's motto, and if you read this blog, you will definitely want to.  (Be sure to check out their Flickr photo pool.)

Good Mail Day is a book I would highly recommend if you like to send or receive mail.  I was really excited about the theme of this book--"Make Every Day a Good Mail Day"--when I first heard about it (from a heads-up on the LWA blog).  I ordered it soon after it first came out, and I have to say it totally rekindled my love for letter writing and the postal system.  It also gave me a purpose for all of the random little paper things I like to save--send them as mail!  Before this book, I didn't know there was such a thing as "mail art," and it opened up a whole new world of possibilities for me in terms of the kind of mail I could send.  But don't let the term "mail art" scare you off--this book is not just for artists or crafty people.  It is for anyone that likes to send and receive mail.  It turned my two teenaged texting sisters into true pen pals--it's that amazing.  According to Good Mail Day, "Rule Number 1" is simple:  To get a letter, send a letter.   That is pretty simple.  Now why aren't we doing it?  (You can find more information and inspiration at the Good Mail Day blog.)

Who can you reach out to this weekend?  Take some time to put some notes or letters in the mail. That's what I am hoping to do, as well as start on a birthday card/letter for Caroline's 8th(!) birthday next Thursday!   I can't believe she is turning 8.  In honor of her birthday week and our shared birthday month (yay for March!),  I am planning to do a few posts dedicated to showing thoughtfulness to birthday girls and boys.   I hope you will stop by.

Until then, have a great weekend!

:) amber

No comments:

Post a Comment

blog comments are thoughtful . . . :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...